Tuesday, April 24, 2012

So you decided to go Paleo?

Any change in diet is a big change, and on that restricts breads, grains, dairy, sugar and anything you can buy at a gas station or quick mart is definitely one that will take some getting used to. When I first started I was dedicated and willing to make a change to how I ate. I realized how much I had to take out of my diet and how hard those changes would be. The first rude awakening was staring into my coffee cup and seeing nothing but black coffee... I could no longer use creamers or sugar, and that's when I got scared. So I did some research I found that So Delicious makes a coconut creamer that you wouldn't even notice was different. The lack of sugar was a little tough but it has made me appreciate the taste of coffee. The importance of switching to Paleo is knowing that even making simple changes can help you. So to make it easier I came up with simple switches for how to go Paleo and still maintain a normal daily lifestyle.

Breakfast:

What most people eat: Bagel's, Donuts, Danish, Cereal, Toast, PopTarts, Granola and Yogurt, Muffins, Egg Sandwich on an English Muffin, or many other random things.

For me I went with: Fresh Fruits like Grapes, Raspberries, Blueberries, Strawberries, Banannas, or Scrambled eggs, leftovers from dinner, leftover Veggies from dinner, Salami or Ham.

The best way to make Paleo work is by buying foods that you enjoy and thinking about all the foods that you can have rather than what you can't have. Going into your favorite coffee shop is going to be hard but resist and get your coffee and go to work and munch on your fruit that you packed.

I have really gotten used to eating eggs in the morning and applegate bacon is by far the best so my favorite breakfast is two pieces of bacon and then cook my scrambled eggs in the bacon fat. Lunch: Most people eat, sandwiches, burgers, chips, fries, pizza, pasta, pretty much any leftover you can think of. Paleo lunches can be more challenging because you have to plan ahead. I stick by my staples, like salads with proteins like salami and ham. I also eat just meat and veggies, or sometimes I just run out and grab some veggies and munch on them. Dinner: Everyone eats a common meal that consists of a protein, veggie and a starch usually a pasta or potato. I typically will eat a steak and a veggie or two. If I'm looking for something more filling I will cut up and bake some sweet potatoes. In the beginning stick with steak, chicken breasts, wings cooked with just a rub and no sauce. Paleo is all about high fat and zero carbs so go ahead and clean the closets of the pastas and breads and cookies and pies. Make room for fresh fruit. Stock up on eggs and veggies, the best way is to stay on paleo is to have a fully stock fridge full of the essentials and just remember that in a week or two your going to feel great! Sticking close to how you normally ate will make it easier to stick with Paleo. Remember you can always substitute veggies for a starch. Follo these simple steps and you will be on your way to being perfectly Paleo. :) XO, Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment