Thursday, August 16, 2012

Don't Believe Everything You Hear

* Disclamer... I am about to vent my own opinion on the great 'ol egg debate. Diet changes should always be spoken through your doctor. This is merely my own opinion.

The Article

So I went to my old TV Station that I worked for years ago when I was still in college. I noticed an article that they posted and saw there teaser for the evening news. As a fellow broadcaster I love and hate the media. I love it because I love bringing news to people and I love being able to shoot inspiring stories about local heroes, and how a policeman saved so many lives. The feel good features that you tend to pay attention to, not the sad murder cases that further grow the ego's of it's villans.

Back to the article, the article is comparing cigarettes to eggs, in that cigarettes create less plaque in your arteries than eggs. Insisting that eggs can kill you quicker than if you smoke cigarettes. They did a small study and the study in my opinion was inconclusive. When you run  a study like this you need to consider all the factors. There are way to many things that can depend on your arteries, and cholesterol comes from many more things than just eggs. My issue with the media is that they spend so much time telling you what the study found and not enough time telling you that it means nothing because there are still so many un-answered questions.

For Example:
On average during a week I can consume at most almost a dozen eggs a week, usually 2 for breakfast. My diet is rich in animal protiens and full of fresh veggies and fruits. So your telling me that I have a higher risk for clogged arteries and vascular disease, then say a person who consumes 2 eggs a week, smokes a pack a week, eats Fast Food, Pasta, "Whole Grains"( which is prob bread and other foods that contain eggs) and they are healthier than me?

What you don't realize when you eat the way that I do, I don't eat processed foods, so the only egg products that I consume are the eggs that I crack in my skillet or that I add in my food. I know how many eggs I am eating.

You don't have to agree but you don't have to sit back and listen. Do some research, google it, heck go to your doctor get a check up and tweak your eating habits and go back and see how it affects the numbers? One thing I urge everyone to do is NOT believe everything the pretty little blonde tells you on the TV. She's reading from a script and she is given the assignment from her producer because its an important topic. Everyone wants to get healthy and live long lives. Well Knowledge is power, go out and find out for yourself.

XO,
Ash

2 comments:

  1. Ash, I totally agree about people taking responsibility for themselves and actually doing research on their own. I eat 3 or more eggs per day and I am the healthiest I have ever been. My blood pressure is fantastic and I feel great.
    What I hope people start to realize is that the benefits of eating egg yolks far outweigh the negatives (as long as you are not eating grains!!!)
    Eggs are full of essential vitamins and minerals....grains are not!

    Grains are the Devil!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finch face, way to go girlfriend! I'm on board! Eggs are NOT BAD FOR YOU.

    I find it funny how many people "jump on the bandwagon" just because someone/something/social media tells them to. Too many people do not do their homework and just take someone else's word for law. Each individual needs to find what works for them; diet and exercise is specific to person's lifestyle. I know for breakfast that eating eggs keeps me fuller, longer and I feel more energetic throughout the day due to the higher protein content.

    Overall, that article made me laugh. Eggs aren't going to give me lung/throat/mouth cancer, gum disease, and aid in my teeth falling out of my face...

    ReplyDelete