Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Three or Six Meals a Day

I read a ton of blogs and usually try out new ones based on what my blogger friends suggest. The ones I visit the most are....
 CarrotsNCake
 PaleOMG
GM Runs 
Run Eat Repeat
PB Fingers 
Hungry Runner Girl 
Nom Nom Paleo

Just to name a few... I saw this on a post on Run Eat Repeat
Eat THREE – not six – meals, which gives the intestinal tract time in between meals to rest and heal. If you have erratic eating habits, such as "grazing all day,"  the digestive fire is always on and soon the incessant digestive process begins to irritate the intestinal wall.
In the old days a farmer could spend hours in the fields with no problem. Imagine if they had to come into the house every 2-3 hours for a snack!  This kind of blood sugar instability is a modern day imbalance.
Six meals a day is a medicinal diet for treating the symptoms of severe hypoglycemia. It was never intended to be a way of life. Nowhere else in the world have humans eaten constantly until this vain American experiment. We are told that eating six meals a day will help us lose weight by keeping the metabolism high and revved up and that it won’t let the body store fat.
  • We are not meant to have our metabolism revved up all day. It depletes and exhausts the adrenals (which ultimately causes fat storage) and never gives the digestion a rest.
  • While we won’t store fat eating every 2-3 hours, we also will never burn any stored fat. Cancer causing toxins are stored in our fat cells and the fat needs a reason to burn. (More info  below).
  • With blood sugars artificially propped up from constant feeding, the ability to make energy last is replaced with fragile energy, constant hunger, mood instability and extreme cravings if a meal or snack is missed.

It really made me think about Paleo and the lifestyle that I have moved to.  I have been living a Paleo life for almost 8 months now. I have lost a total of 50 pounds and gained muscle. I have never lost weight so fast and kept it off for this long. I work out more frequently and I am in a happier mood overall. Of course there are moments when I give in and cheat a little but for the most part I try and live a healthy life and so far it looks pretty good on me.

I much rather prefer eating WHEN I am hungry and eating until I am full rather then grazing and limiting or counting carbs or points. I tried weight watchers before and it's not fun, you have to tote around a book or search in an app for what your eating and your told how many points a day you can spend. That sucks. How about I eat a 1lb steak with a sweet potato and butter...( yup its Paleo) and then for dessert eat some bananas and nut butter freshly ground!( Paleo too).

I know what foods agree with me and what foods don't and even though I have noticed that I have small intolerance's I know my body and how it works and I'll live a longer and healthier life because of it.

-What are your eating habits?
-Do you follow Paleo or a specific Lifestyle ?

XO,
Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment