Thursday, September 20, 2012

Yes Ashley People Read Your Blog...

Just when I start to think that I am writing into the abyss of the World Wide Web and I think no one reads this blog of mine I just surprised. So thanks to all the awesome people who have reached out and asked me about Paleo and support my blog! It means the world to me and it makes my day…  So I recently got some questions on how to start Paleo so I decided to put together an ALL STAR list of Tips and tricks… If I left anything out or you have any specific questions just let me know! I am here to help!

How to start Paleo

When I first started learning about Paleo I was turned off because it was very complicted and meant that I needed to learn a whole new way of cooking and I liked the way I cooked. Then when I decided that it was time to loose weight and I joined Crossfit I realized that Paleo was going to be a way for me to jump start my healty life, I had every intention of going back to how I ate with the exception of indulging a little too much. Once I started on Paleo and fully understood how my body felt with the different foods I ate that’s when I became hooked.

So if you read my blog and your interested in Paleo give it a try. Try it for a month and be strict. Go head first and see if you notice a difference. It might be hard in the beginning but after that month your palette will change and it WILL become easier. Trust me!


-Clean out your cupboards and purge your fridge and freezer of anything processed. If you can’t grow it or kill it then you can’t eat it. Breakfast will consist of lots of eggs and fruits and proteins like bacon or deli meats. You can even eat leftovers for breakfast, yup ditch the leftover pizza you can eat steak and eggs.

-Donate and give away your sugar and milk and half and half. I am not a fan of drinking my coffee black so I put SO Delicious French Vanilla coffee creamer in my coffee and I can’t taste the difference. They have a regular flavor and also a hazelnut. Stock up on Flavored Teas, these are great at night for dessert and they come in a variety of flavors that you don’t even need to add any sugar. Staying away from added sugar and processed foods will really help. If you don’t cook with sugar you won’t crave it. Stick with natural sugars in fruits and vegetables.

-Buy better quality eggs. Lets Face it you are what you eat. If you buy the cheap eggs at the store that don’t say cage free and vegetarian feed or grass fed, then your eating eggs from a farm that they chickens were kept on close quarters with other chickens, live and dead and they were fed chicken and other animal parts. Which means they wont be as “healthy” for you. Look for Cage Free and Grass or Vegetarian fed. Typically they will run you 3 bucks for a dozen or an 18 pack. Which isn’t bad.

-Buy good quality meats, Grass fed beef and free range chicken. Did you know the reason why Salmonella is even an issue when I comes to red meat is because farmers for big companies feed corn diets to the cows, which is not easily digested and then when taken to slaughter houses the undigested bacteria contaminates the entire facility, and that they actually “clean” the beef with an ammonia additive that is mixed in with your ground beef. Yup check out this movie if you want to learn more.

-Keep it simple. In the beginning Paleo can seem overwhelming and that there are a lot of rules, just keep it simple. Make steak and a veggie or two, or make chicken wings with a dry rub of spices, ( watch out for pre mixed spices that have added  sugar) Grilled Fish with a mix of veggies. Pick a protein and then a few veggies on the side.

- Don’t count calaries, and eat when your hungry. If its noon and your not hungry then wait until you are hungry. Snack on veggies and fruit if your hungry while you wait for dinner. Drink plenty of water and stay away from bottled teas with sugar in them.

- Oh yeah and eat as much as you want. If you make a pound of chicken and your hungry go for it. Cook with real butter and oils, stay away from anything that says healthy and is processed. Nine times out of ten if there is a label on it saying its healthy then there was some kind of processing going on.

-Get used to not eating grains and if you have to make special orders when eating out. Ask for more veggies and even say you have a gain allergy if you want to avoid any confusion.

Paleo is simple and once you get a hang of it you can experiment with other Paleo recipes. The best advice is to do your homework. See what works for you and learn the science behind Paleo and why you feel better on it. Some of my favorite Paleo bloggers are; Everyday Paleo, Nom Nom Paleo, PaleOMG, and Robb Wolf.

As always if you have any specific questions feel free to ask. I am here to help and educate anyone who wants to learn. If you want a free cheerleader tell me your story and I will brag about you on here to all my awesome readers (thanks mom)

XO,
Ash


2 comments:

  1. What about Cheeses? How do they fit in?

    Honey?

    What oils do you suggest cooking with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheese Isn't Paleo because Dairy isn't Paleo if your gassy or bloated after eating cheese and dairy it might be because you have an intolerance. Every now and then I allow a little cheese but definitely not with grains.

      Honey is a great Natural sweetner, just make sure you organic honey. Its more expensive in grocery stores so try finding local honey farmers or farm stands that sell it.

      I use Olive Oil, Grapeseed, Coconut Oil extra virgin for baking, stay away from Pam and artificial butters. Use real fat butter and even bacon grease... Eggs scrambled or fried in bacon grease is prob the best thing ever... just don't eat that everyday. Its all about balance. High fat mixed in with fresh fruits and veggies...

      Anything else?

      Delete