Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Where Has All the White Bread Gone?



I like to see what is going on in the food world and so from time to time I Google it. I came across this article and it made me think.

First of all, how we eat is judged by everyone. I changed my diet to Paleo in the beginning of the year and I am ALWAYS getting comments for it. If I do eat Paleo in front of people they look at me like I have six heads. Yes I am eating Turkey out of the package instead of the normal turkey on white bread with Mayo and lettuce. When I don’t eat Paleo though I get the same questions, “Well that’s not Paleo. I even have Paleo Purists (thanks Dan) who tell me that I eat more primal than I do Paleo. Honestly, Why does anyone care.

I say that I eat Paleo because 90% of the time I do. I try and stay away from all of the foods that I used to eat. Over the course of 3 months I lost 40 pounds and so far I have been able to keep it off. I gain and loose but a lot of that has to do with muscle mass as well. The bottom line is that I care about what I put in my body and I am more aware of what I am eating. When I was younger my Dad used to bring home white bread and cookies and ice cream. So when I came home from school I would eat peanut butter on white bread, fluff from the jar, Ice Cream, Cookies, Candy you name it. Of course my mom bought fresh fruit and nuts and healthy options, but what kid is going to pick a piece of fruit over chocolate pudding. 
 

Right now most people are embarrassed to say that they want a sandwich on white bread. At the cafeteria at work I never hear people order a white wrap or white bread, Its always whole grain this and that. Companies like Wonder Bread, a company known for its white bread is turning out wheat bread and whole grain products. The world is divided on eating whole grains and the other half that finds grains evil (grains are the devil). Truth is you should eat what you think agrees best with your body. A friend of mine is on a diet where she eats a high protein low to no carb diet but she drinks shakes and eats packaged foods. That works for her because she hates cooking ( really who could ever hate cooking) so Paleo could be tough because you need to put more effort into how you eat. Honestly I proud of her, she is changing her diet and getting healthier and that’s all that matters. Who cares if it’s Paleo, Primal, Gluten Free, or whatever.

I choose not to eat grains and it’s the best for me. White bread or whole wheat, well that’s up to you. The real question is why are companies jumping on the bandwagon of diets and is there any real reason why we should eat grains? 

I know its Tuesday but This Chick, linked to This other cool Chick and I love this exercise....
Negative Thought: I am so stressed about work, and money, and life and being 25... I should have accomplished so much more by now.





Positve Thought: I am 25 and I am renting a house with awesome people. I have an awesome BF and a GREAT PUP that is the love of my life, Not to mention a great opportunity at a job and some fanta-bulous readers of my very own job!

Whats your Mental Monday or Thought for Tuesday!!!

XO, 
Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment