Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The Perfect Pie!

So Tomorrow is the big day, Thanksgiving. I made it through a stressful week at work and I am prepared for the big day to spend with my family.

I am prepared for the big feast because....
- I have made conscious decisions to pick and choose what I am going to eat.
-I am going to drink twice as much water as I am alcoholic beverages
-I am bringing Paleo food to eat and share
-I will work out in the morning, and I will eat a good breakfast

Its good to have a plan, I like plans I think its much easier to get through the day when you have a plan. That being said I am one to break plans and change plans at the drop of the hat. I always feel more productive when I make goals for myself but I am always up for spur of the moment fun.

Party Poopers 
These guys sure know how to have a FUN Friday night.... Ace's new thing is he is protective of Ace and if anyone goes to touch him he blocks himself. Mike thinks this is cute and I think it's annoying. So that is the next thing on our list to work on.

Onto fun Things... Need a good Pie recipe to take to your dinner try this one!

This is from Make It Paleo, Which by the way is my favorite Paleo Cookbook.

Pumpkin Chiffon Pie
Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups almond flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Process:
  1. Preheat oven to 325.
  2. In a medium sized bowl, combine dry ingredients.
  3. In a small bowl, combine wet ingredients (make sure to melt the coconut oil before mixing it into the batter, about 40 seconds in the microwave does the trick).
  4. Stir wet ingredients into dry.
  5. Pat the dough into a 9.5 inch glass pie dish (this takes a little finesse. I probably took about 10 minutes to smooth out the perfect pie crust. It works very well, you just have to be patient. You want to create an even thin layer, the dough will rise a bit when you bake it.)
  6. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until golden.
  7. Remove from oven to cool.
 Chiffon Pumpkin Pie
Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon unflavored Knox Gelatin
  • 16 oz pure pumpkin puree
  • 3 eggs, separated
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (we used Almond Breeze)
  • 2/3 cup pure maple syrup
  • 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Liquid stevia extract
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream (optional for whipped topping)

Process:

  1. In a saucepan combine gelatin, maple syrup, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, pumpkin, egg yolks, and almond milk. Mix thoroughly.
  2. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until it boils.
  3. Remove from heat, and chill until set (once the pan is cool enough, you will want to put the filling in the fridge to cool, but be sure to monitor it).
  4. Beat egg whites until stiff and add in a few drops of liquid stevia to sweeten a bit.
  5. Once pumpkin has cooled and set in the fridge, remove from fridge and fold pumpkin into the whipped egg whites. ("folding" is a stirring technique that adds air into the batter, check out this quick video)
  6. Pour filling into pie crust.
  7. Cover pie with saran wrap and cool in the fridge until set.
  8. An optional topping is to whip heavy cream and sprinkle with cinnamon.


No comments:

Post a Comment